Car Accident While Pregnant: What Are Your Next Steps?
If you are pregnant, even what could be considered a minor car accident may be problematic. Car accidents are the most common cause of trauma during pregnancy, accounting for 50% of trauma cases. Additionally, accidents caused by driver negligence can potentially cause long-term complications, such as internal bleeding, fetal distress, miscarriage, or even birth defects, which raises concerns for both the mother and the unborn child.
If you are pregnant and are injured in a collision, you must seek medical care immediately, regardless of the accident’s severity. Following the immediate medical care, keep detailed documentation of the medical care received, alongside any related documents such as police accident reports and insurance letters. Lastly, consulting an experienced car accident lawyer is essential to understanding your legal options, seeking justice, and ensuring you take the right steps toward recovery.
10 Steps to Take After a Collision While Pregnant
If you have been involved in a collision while pregnant, the following specific steps may protect you and your baby’s well-being:
- Prioritize safety: After a collision, ensure everyone is safe and away from any immediate dangers. If possible, move your vehicle to a safe location.
- Seek medical attention: Even if the accident appears minor and you do not feel hurt, it is essential to seek immediate medical attention. Your unborn child’s well-being could be at risk, and only a healthcare provider can provide a thorough examination to ensure everything is okay.
- Get an accident report: Contact local authorities, as law enforcement will create an accident report, which can be viable for strengthening an accident claim.
- Exchange information: Collect contact and insurance information with the opposing driver involved in the accident, such as his or her name, contact details, insurance information, and license plate number.
- Document the accident scene: Take photos of the accident scene, your vehicle, and any visible damages. This documentation may help establish liability and corroborate your narrative.
- Gather witness information: If there were any eyewitnesses to the collision, collect names and contact information, as their statements may help establish what contributed to the accident and who may be at fault.
- Notify your obstetrician: Even if you received medical attention at the scene, notify your obstetrician immediately about the accident, as they can monitor your pregnancy more closely and provide guidance based on your specific situation.
- Consult a car accident lawyer: Consult a highly qualified car accident lawyer to help you protect your right to compensation for someone else’s negligence.
- Inform your insurance company: With the legal guidance of your car accident lawyer, notify your insurance company about the collision. Be cautious in providing recorded statements or accepting early settlement offers.
- Monitor your health: In the days and weeks following the accident, keep a close eye on your health and the baby’s movements. Report any changes or concerns immediately to your healthcare provider.
A collision during pregnancy can be stressful, but taking these steps can ensure you and your baby are protected physically and financially. The lawyers at Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. will help navigate the claims process on your behalf so you can concentrate on healing after the accident.
Recoverable Compensation in a Car Accident Claim
The various types of compensation you may pursue in a car accident claim include the following:
- Present and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Property damage
- Childbirth and delivery expenses if a medical intervention is needed due to the collision
- Neonatal care, if applicable
- Punitive damages
It is essential to work closely with a car accident lawyer at Eric Ratinoff Law Corp., who can assess the specifics of your case and determine the types of damages you may seek. The value of your claim may vary based on the severity of your injuries, the impact on your pregnancy, and other factors.
Speak With the Car Accident Lawyers at Eric Ratinoff Law Corp.
To recover the full extent of the economic and non-economic losses you deserve for an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, speak with the lawyers at Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. We have over 30 years of experience handling complex car accident claims and will work to mitigate any challenges you may face during the legal process.