Can I File a Personal Injury Claim If I Am Injured on an Electric Scooter in California?
As technology advances, new forms of transportation continue to evolve. The electric scooter is one of the most exciting new ways to travel around a city, take a tour, or get across a college campus. In the United States, there are close to 100,000 electric scooters available for public use. While this new means of transportation may be an easy and inexpensive way to travel, it can also present new hazards to drivers and pedestrians.
Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. is a personal injury law firm with experience helping clients in California seek justice after an electric scooter accident. In the state of California, citizens who have been injured in an electric scooter accident have the legal right to file a personal injury claim.
What Are the Laws Concerning Electric Scooters in California?
In California, there are several laws in place to help protect riders and pedestrians from potentially dangerous accidents involving electric scooters. These laws include the following:
- Minors must wear helmets
- While adults are not required to wear helmets, it is strongly encouraged
- The official electric scooter speed limit is 15 miles per hour, and any rider caught going over this limit may face a fine of up to $250
- If riding in the streets, electric scooters should remain in the bike lane unless passing another driver, making a left turn, avoiding debris or hazards, or when turning right
- Drivers must stay off the sidewalks
- Drivers must be the only person on the scooter, and they may not have passengers
- Drivers must have driving licenses
- When making a left turn, drivers must dismount and walk
- Drivers must adhere to crosswalk rules
- Electric scooters are legally considered motor vehicle, meaning all laws pertaining to cars or trucks apply to electric scooters
If you are considering riding an electric scooter in California, it is important that you are aware of the laws in place to avoid any fines or a potential accident.
How to File a Personal Injury Claim after an Electric Scooter Accident
If you have been injured on an electric scooter in California due to the negligence of another person or entity, you have the legal right to file a personal injury claim. Filing a personal injury claim allows you to pursue financial compensation for the losses you have incurred as a result of your injury. In filing a personal injury claim, you should include the following steps:
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene, any property damage, and visible injuries
- Get witness statements
- Seek medical attention for your injuries
Additionally, it is essential that you contact an electric scooter lawyer with experience helping clients who have been injured on an electric scooter as soon as possible.
Contact a California Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured on or by an electric scooter, you may be owed financial compensation for your losses. The damages you may be eligible to collect include medical expenses, lost wages, property damages, and pain and suffering. To get help with your personal injury claim, contact a California personal injury lawyer.
Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. has over 25 years of experience helping clients obtain outstanding results for their personal injury claims. Attorney Eric Ratinoff is passionate about providing clients with excellent legal representation and achieving the maximum recovery possible. To schedule a free consultation, contact us here or call (916) 970-9100.