Sacramento Birth Injury Lawyer
When an unborn or newborn infant becomes injured before, during, or shortly after the birth process, it is absolutely devastating. All too often, birth injuries occur due to preventable mistakes that create a lifetime of problems for an innocent baby. Birth injuries are also financially and emotionally draining on the parents of the child.
The compassionate Sacramento birth injury lawyers at Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. represent clients in birth injury claims throughout Sacramento and Northern California. We offer our support, and representation for personal injury claims involving child birth, medical negligence, medical malpractice and much more. Contact us today to learn more, and to receive a free initial consultation.
- 1 When Can I Sue for a Birth Injury?
- 2 Establishing Liability After a Birth Injury
- 3 Damages You May Recover Through a Birth Injury Claim
- 4 Contact our Sacramento Birth Injury Attorneys
Causes of Birth Injuries
Injuries to the baby are most likely to occur during a prolonged and difficult labor and delivery. Birth injuries may include the following characteristics:
- Large Babies: babies weighing more than approximately 8 pounds, 13 ounces may be more difficult for the mother to deliver, causing medical interventions that may result in forceps or vacuum injuries
- Premature Babies: babies born before 37 weeks, known as “premature babies,” have more fragile bodies and may be more easily injured
- Mother’s pelvis too small (Cephalopelvic Disproportion): doctors and nurses may not be equipped to deliver the baby vaginally if the size and shape of the mother’s pelvis is small.
- Slow or difficult labor/delivery: also known as “dystocia,” a long period of labor can increase the chances for complications such as umbilical cord compression, or “Nuchal Cord”
- Prolonged labor: many hours of labor contractions can cause injury to the fetus
- Abnormal position of baby: position of the fetus in the womb (such as the “breech” position, buttocks first) may complicate and prolong labor and delivery
If you or your loved one experienced difficult labor and delivery that resulted in your newborn baby having any of the characteristics mentioned above, contact our Sacramento birth injury lawyers for legal representation. Our qualified attorneys will make sure justice is served. Call us today to schedule a free claim evaluation and discuss your claim further.
When Can I Sue for a Birth Injury?
The aftermath of a birth injury may be emotionally, physically, and financially overwhelming. Fortunately, if your claim meets specific criteria, you may be eligible to sue the negligent healthcare provider for damages. In order to successfully pursue a birth injury claim, you and your Sacramento birth injury attorney must be able to prove the following elements:
The Defendant Owed You and Your Child a Standard of Care
All healthcare professionals owe their patients a high standard of care. Simply put, doctors must act reasonably and follow professional standards during the course of a patient’s care. If a doctor-patient relationship existed at the time of the birth injury, the doctor likely owed you and your child a standard of care.
The Defendant Violated the Standard of Care
If the doctor failed to act as other doctors would in similar circumstances, they may have acted negligently and violated the standard of care. Some common examples of negligence during delivery include improper use of forceps and failure to perform an emergency cesarean section.
The Violation of the Standard of Care Caused Yours and Your Child’s Injuries and Other Damages
Birth injuries are often life-threatening for mothers and infants. Unfortunately, birth injury survivors may have to contend with the consequences for the rest of their lives. A dedicated Sacramento birth injury lawyer can help you gather evidence and hold the negligent party accountable for the full extent of your and your child’s losses.
Establishing Liability After a Birth Injury
If your child suffered a birth injury, more than one party may be at fault. A few of the parties that may be held liable for your injuries and other losses include the following:
- The attending physician or obstetrician
- The anesthesiologist
- Nurses, lab technicians, or other medical professionals involved in your and your child’s care
- The hospital or healthcare facility
- The pharmaceutical company
- The manufacturer of faulty medical devices or equipment
When you partner with Attorney Eric Ratinoff, you can have peace of mind that he will build a strong claim and fight for your rights and interests on your behalf. He will thoroughly investigate your claim to establish liability and help you recover the compensation you need to move your life forward.
Damages You May Recover Through a Birth Injury Claim
Birth injuries may cause long-term complications and significant emotional, physical, and financial distress for clients and their families. If the negligence of another caused your or your child’s injuries, you may be eligible to collect damages for your economic and non-economic losses. Some of the damages Attorney Ratinoff may be able to help you recover include the following:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and earning potential
- Significant disfigurement or disability
- Loss of enjoyment in life
- Severe emotional trauma
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
We will work with you to understand every detail about your child’s injury and consider your current and future financial needs when determining the total value of your claim.
Contact our Sacramento Birth Injury Attorneys
Our experienced Sacramento birth injury lawyers understand that birth trauma and injury claims can be complex and demanding. Our injury attorneys have recovered millions of dollars in damages for children and their families who have been injured by negligent doctors and medical staff.
With over twenty years of experience, the well-trained Sacramento personal injury lawyers and administrative staff at Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. give us the advantage, even under the most difficult circumstances to succeed in your claim. If your child has suffered a birth injury or trauma, please fill out and submit a contact form for a free and confidential claims evaluation, or call us toll-free at (866) 527-4278. The people we represent are worth the fight.