Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
As drivers, we all share certain responsibilities to ensure the safety of our roads. Too often, however, motorcycle riders bear an unfair burden of protecting themselves from the neglect of the larger vehicles surrounding them. Even though motorcyclists are often the safest, most well-prepared drivers on the road, it is sometimes assumed that the act of riding a motorcycle in and of itself is reckless behavior. Although drivers of motorcycles have every right that drivers of other vehicles possess, sometimes it takes a Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer to protect those rights and ensure that others do not take advantage of odds that may be stacked against an injured motorcyclist.
Our team of motorcycle accident attorneys understand how frustrating an accident can be, especially when there’s an unfair disadvantage for motorcyclists. We are passionate about fighting for the rights of people who have been injured due to someone else’s careless or negligent behavior. Our attorneys represent individuals suffering from severe injuries, including traumatic brain injuries. With our help, we can make sure you have the tools and resources to feel confident and successful in your claim.
- 1 Is There an Increased Risk for Motorcyclists on the Road?
- 2 4 Common Causes of Sacramento Motorcycle Accidents
- 3 When Should You Contact a Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
- 4 Why Should You Hire Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. for Legal Representation?
- 5 Seek Assistance from a Dependable Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
- 6 California Motorcycle Riders’ Resources
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
Is There an Increased Risk for Motorcyclists on the Road?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that motorcyclists are about 29 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a traffic-related motorcycle accident per vehicle mile traveled. In 2019 alone, 5,014 motorcyclists were killed, and many fear that the number will continue to grow year after year.
Motorcycle riders face special dangers every time they climb onto their bikes. The following are a few vital statistics reported by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):
- Out of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2019, motorcycle fatalities accounted for 14%
- In 2019, 27% of fatally injured motorcyclists were younger than 30
- 61% of fatally injured motorcycle drivers were helmeted in 2019
- The months with the most motorcyclist deaths in 2019 occurred during May-September.
- Motorcyclist fatalities peaked in August of 2019
Due to their vulnerability, motorcyclists are often more at risk than those within a closed vehicle. Even low-impact accidents can severely harm a motorcyclist depending on where they hit them.
4 Common Causes of Sacramento Motorcycle Accidents
Some accidents are more severe than others, and sometimes collisions occur due to circumstances out of the motorcyclist’s control. If a driver accidentally bumps a motorcycle at a stoplight, that may be less concerning and dangerous than an accident where the driver was traveling at high speeds. Here are some causes of Sacramento motorcycle accidents.
One of the leading causes of accidents is distracted driving. Whether it’s your phone or the radio, taking your focus off the road for even a second can cause a severe accident. It’s the driver’s responsibility to make sure there are no distractions while driving their vehicle.
When drivers have blood alcohol content (BAC) higher than 0.08%, they are considered too impaired to drive. If they choose to drive, they can face severe consequences for their recklessness.
If a driver is following too closely behind a motorcycle, they are considered to be tailgating the other vehicle. When a motorcyclist needs to make an abrupt stop or slow down, the car could collide with the motorcyclist and cause severe injuries.
Speeding can cause a driver to lose control and not react to an unexpected event on the road. For example, if a car is speeding around a corner and doesn’t see the motorcycle ahead, they can collide with the other vehicle.
Aside from negligence, a motorcycle accident can also suffer from defective tires or other manufacturing defects. Sometimes the motorcycle accident itself may not have been caused by a manufacturer’s defect, but the safety equipment may not have protected the motorcyclist, causing injuries that would have been avoided if the equipment functioned as it should have.
When Should You Contact a Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
A personal injury lawsuit can be a long and arduous road, but with the help of a motorcycle accident attorney, you’ll have someone you can trust all through the process. They have experience, and they understand what it takes to have a successful claim. Below is a list of how a motorcycle accident attorney can help your claim:
- Answering questions about your claim
- Establishing the other individual’s negligence and liability
- Discussing claims with insurance companies
- Analyzing for any potential legal issues
- Gathering evidence for the claim
- Conducting a thorough investigation
- Reviewing legal documents
- Assessing how your injuries have impacted your life
- Conveying your story in a compelling way to the responsible party and, if necessary, a jury
We will listen to your story and ask several questions during your initial consultation with our law firm. You will have the opportunity and are encouraged to ask questions about the legal process, our experience with matters like yours, and anything else you want to know. Then we will discuss whether or not your potential claim is a good fit for our firm, and if it is, we will explain our contract and fee agreement. While there is never any pressure for you to sign with our firm during this consultation, we cannot conduct an investigation or do any work on your behalf until a contract has been signed.
Why Should You Hire Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. for Legal Representation?
Our Sacramento motorcycle accident attorneys at Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. have years of experience successfully litigating auto accident claims. We have recovered substantial settlements for motorcycle accident victims who have suffered injury and death due to motor vehicle crashes. We will analyze your potential injury claim from many angles, looking for violations of traffic laws and DMV regulations, medical treatment issues, and other legal issues that can cause problems for your claim. Here are a few of our excellent outcomes:
- $2.25 million for a cyclist who was seriously injured in an auto accident
- $2 million recovery for a motorcyclist who suffered a traumatic brain injury
- $1 million recovery for a woman injured in an auto accident
- $1 million personal injury recovery for a pedestrian who suffered post-concussion syndrome
- $850K recovery on behalf of a client who suffered herniated disks from being rear-ended on the freeway
- $596,834 jury verdict for motorcycle accident after insurance argued the cyclist was 75% at fault
“We are very proud of our client who pursued this matter with dignity and never gave up in the face of a defense that unfairly tried to shift the lion’s share of the blame onto him,” said attorney Eric Ratinoff. “At the end of the day the jury agreed with us, awarding him more than 20 times the highest pre-trial offer.”
If you’ve been injured in a wreck, our motorcycle accident lawyers in Sacramento may be able to help. Contact Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. today for more information on representation in your claim and how we can assist you in getting proper and fair compensation for your injuries and property damage.
Seek Assistance from a Dependable Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
If you suffer injuries from an accident involving another person’s negligence, contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer at Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. With our years of experience and solid resources, we offer excellent legal representation you can trust. By discussing the severity of your damages, we can better understand and explain how much compensation will cover your losses.
We understand how challenging the legal claim process can be and will do everything in our power to make sure you experience a streamlined claim process. Our goal is to help you make as complete a recovery as possible from a severe accident.
If you are looking for reliable legal representation for your motorcycle accident claim, call (916) 970-9100 or fill out our contact form for a free consultation today.
California Motorcycle Riders’ Resources
For new motorcycle riders, the following resources may help ensure you can enjoy the road as safely as possible on your motorcycle.
Training and Information
- AMA New Rider Information
- AMA list of Rider Schools
- Advanced Motorcycle Training
- Motorcycle Tips and Techniques
- Motosport.com: An Introduction to Motorcycles
- Motorcycle Safety Foundation
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Motorcycle Safety Guidelines
- Motorcycle Helmet Information & Reviews
- Gene Pearson Motorcycle Awareness Foundation
State and Federal Information & Guidelines
- CA Department of Motor Vehicles
- CA Motorcycle Handbook
- National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety
- AMA Map of State Motorcycle Laws
- Current U.S. motorcycle & bicycle helmet laws
Tips for a Safe Ride
- Wear a helmet! Helmets are estimated to be 37% effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcycle drivers and 41% for motorcycle passengers
- Never drink and drive
- Obey the speed limit
- Learn tips and techniques for safe driving
- Stay informed of safety and traffic rules
- Be aware of weather conditions before you ride
- Wear proper clothing, eye and face protection
- Use ear plugs to reduce hearing damage from wind noise
- Always inspect your motorcycle before a ride – use T-CLOCS to ensure a thorough inspection!
Frequently Asked Questions
If I’ve been in a motorcycle accident in Sacramento, what kind of compensation can I receive?
Damages for motorcycle accidents in Sacramento can include past and future medical bills, costs for medical equipment and home accessibility modifications, past and future lost wages, pain and suffering, property damages, out-of-pocket expenses, loss of consortium, and potential future life care costs.
How long do I have to file a motorcycle accident claim in Sacramento?
The Statute of Limitations for all personal injury claims, including motorcycle accidents, varies depending on a number of factors. Under some conditions it can be as short as 6 months. If you were involved in a motorcycle collision, you should contact a motorcycle accident lawyer as quickly as possible to protect your legal right to file a claim.
How can a Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney help with my accident case?
An experienced motorcycle accident attorney will not only help you attain the resources needed for your recovery, but they will streamline the process so that you can simply focus on getting better. A good attorney will immediately launch an investigation to gather evidence on your behalf. They will take the burden off your shoulders of dealing with insurance agents, handling paperwork, and meeting all necessary legal deadlines. Almost all personal injury attorneys charge the same percentage contingency fee to represent you, but they will vary greatly in their experience and resources. This means the amount you recover could be substantially different based on the lawyer you choose, and far less should you choose not to hire an attorney at all. If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, it is in your best interest to hire a lawyer with a track record of success with motorcycle injury claims.