Sacramento Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
Facing a painful and life-threatening injury is one of the most alarming hardships someone can experience. Spinal cord injuries, specifically, can be particularly debilitating. After all, the spinal cord controls most of our bodily functions. Considered the body’s communication highway, an injury to the spinal cord can disrupt our ability to perform even the most basic bodily functions.
If you have suffered a debilitating spinal cord injury because of another person’s carelessness, contact an experienced spinal cord injury lawyer in Sacramento, California. At Eric Ratinoff Law Corp., we have represented spinal cord injury victims for over 30 years. We understand the unique complexities of these injuries and have the successful track record to show for it. When you work with an experienced lawyer for your spinal cord injury claim, you can feel confident in your representation.
- 1 What’s the Difference Between an Incomplete and Complete Spinal Cord Injury?
- 2 Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries in Sacramento, California
- 3 Spinal Cord Injuries Resulting in Paralysis
- 4 Symptoms of Paralysis
- 5 Am I Eligible to Recover Compensation for My Spinal Cord Injury?
- 6 Contact a Compassionate Spine Injury Lawyer at Eric Ratinoff Law Corp.
What’s the Difference Between an Incomplete and Complete Spinal Cord Injury?
When someone suffers a spinal cord injury, the damage is classified into one of two categories. The severity of the injury and length of recovery can all depend on the type of injury a person sustains. A doctor can better understand the risks and requirements after the injury is further examined.
Incomplete Spine Injury
The most common spine injury is what’s known as an “incomplete” injury. This occurs when a person can still retain some feeling or function below the injury site in more than one area. The damage depends on the severity and location of the injury, but some individuals may even regain feeling in more than one area up to 18 months following the injury. Many doctors hope to continue to study a way to regain feeling and mobility in areas below the injury site.
Complete Spine Injury
When a person suffers a “complete” spine injury, they lose full mobility and sensation below the area of the injury. If a person suffers a complete spine injury, they may have permanent damage. If an injury restricts the blood flow to the spinal column, the messages from the brain to the injured body can be affected, causing a complete spine injury.
The spine is an essential part of the body’s nervous system and contains nerves that transmit messages from the brain to control the rest of the body. Directing motor, sensory, and many functions, the nerves that surround the spine are crucial to the body’s function.
If you suffer injuries due to someone else’s negligence, contact an experienced spine injury attorney.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries in Sacramento, California
For those who suffer severe injuries to the spinal cord, life changes dramatically. Some spinal cord injuries create challenging symptoms, while others can be completely debilitating. From paralysis to uncontrollable bowel movements, the loss of function and sensation in a specific area can deeply affect a person’s quality of life.
There are many ways a spine injury can occur due to someone else’s negligent behavior, but a few are more common than others:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Motor vehicle accidents can include car, bus, boat, and even aircraft accidents. When you’re involved in a high-impact accident, there are many awkward angles that may cause your spine to impinge the spinal cord.
- Slip and fall accidents: Most slip and fall accidents occur in older individuals and are extremely dangerous. These accidents are unexpected and can sometimes occur when no one is available to help.
- Acts of violence: From assault to other criminal behaviors, certain violent encounters can cause a severe spinal cord injury if stabbed, shot, or pushed. Like slip and fall accidents, there may be no one around to help, which makes these accidents even more dangerous.
- Sports injuries: Athletic activities, such as impact sports and diving in shallow water, cause about 10% of spinal cord injuries.
No matter the reason for your accident, a spinal injury caused by another person’s behavior is unacceptable and can leave you with extreme physical and financial losses. After an injury, contact a spinal cord injury lawyer immediately.
Spinal Cord Injuries Resulting in Paralysis
In severe cases, spinal cord injuries may cause paralysis, resulting in the loss of muscle function in one or several regions of the body. When nerve damage occurs in the spinal cord, electric signals traveling from the brain to the muscles do not communicate properly. Paralysis injuries may be permanent, temporary, or even reoccur.
The following are different types of paralysis injuries you may sustain if you have suffered a spinal cord injury:
- Complete paralysis: A total inability to move or control muscles
- Incomplete paralysis: Partial feeling with some control over paralyzed muscles
- Localized paralysis: Only affects a precise area, such as the face, hands, or feet
- Generalized paralysis: Widespread paralysis throughout the body
- Monoplegia: Paralysis that only affects one limb
- Diplegia: Paralysis of the same areas on both sides, such as arms or legs
- Quadriplegia/Tetraplegia: Paralysis of all four limbs
- Paraplegia: Paralysis from the waist down
Paralysis will have a significant and lasting impact on the victim’s day-to-day life. At Eric Ratinoff Law Corp, our lawyer will aggressively advocate for you and strive to recover the maximum compensation you deserve, whether by relentless negotiation, settlement, or trial. We understand the lasting physical, financial, and emotional suffering you have incurred due to someone else’s negligence.
Symptoms of Paralysis
While some paralysis injury victims may be able to recover over time, there are many victims who suffer permanently, even with treatment. Symptoms may vary depending on the type of paralysis and the extent of spinal cord injury.
Common symptoms of paralysis include the following:
- Loss of feeling below the site of their spinal cord injury. Sensation loss may be complete and permanent as well as reduced or intermittent
- Loss of movement in the limbs under the site of the injury. Paraplegics and quadriplegics may never completely regain muscle strength and control
- Chronic pain from muscle atrophy and other complications
- Spasticity of the muscles most affected by the paralysis
- Problems with bladder and bowel control
- Loss or decrease of sexual function or fertility
- Respiratory infections
The Sacramento spinal cord injury lawyer at Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. has extensive experience handling spinal cord injury claims and understands the substantial future losses related to medical treatment, lost wages, and pain and suffering. We stand by you through the entirety of your claim to hold the negligent party accountable. We work with you on a contingency fee, meaning you don’t have to pay us unless and until we obtain a favorable outcome.
Am I Eligible to Recover Compensation for My Spinal Cord Injury?
After a spinal cord injury, the losses you incur can come from medical bills, transportation, and many other areas. If you are injured due to another individual’s disregard for your safety, you have the right to seek compensation for the losses you sustain.
Some of the following are examples of losses you can recover with the help of a spine injury attorney:
- Treatment and hospital bills
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation expenses
- Cost of prescription medication
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages or income
- Property damage
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Punitive damages
While no amount of money can ever make up for a severe spinal cord injury, financial compensation can at least help lessen the burden and provide access to advanced medical care. Having an experienced spinal cord injury lawyer on your side will give you the confidence and resources needed to recover to your fullest potential.
Contact a Compassionate Spine Injury Lawyer at Eric Ratinoff Law Corp.
When you or a loved one suffers severe injuries because of another person’s careless actions, a dependable spinal cord injury lawyer at Eric Ratinoff Law Corp. can help you recover the compensation you need and deserve. Our main goal is to make sure you have legal representation that you can trust.
With over 30 years of experience working across the state of California, Attorney Eric J. Ratinoff is dedicated to helping you receive maximum compensation for your injuries. Call (916) 970-9100 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation today.