Sacramento Bus Accident Lawyer
The bus system in the Capital City area provides commuters with a cost-effective and convenient mode of travel. Overall, bus travel is safe and makes up the minority of transportation accidents. When an accident does occur, however, the consequences can be catastrophic. If you or a loved one suffered losses in a bus accident involving public or private transportation, contact Sacramento bus accident lawyer, Eric Ratinoff to schedule a free review of your legal options today.
Choosing Eric Ratinoff Law Corp
For over 23 years, our personal injury lawyers have served the residents of Northern California, winning life-changing settlements and trials for our clients.
- We rank in National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Lawyers in the country.
- We win hundreds of thousands, and even millions, in settlements and trials for our clients.
- Our fees are based on contingency, so clients pay us only when their cases are a success.
Laws Regulating Busses
Bus accident cases work a little differently than accidents involving two motor vehicles. In those cases, a person files a claim against the at-fault driver, and his or her insurance company pays out a claim to cover any economic or non-economic losses. Bus accidents can be far more complex. Several factors may influence the claims process.
Was the Bus Public or Private?
A private bus, such as a Greyhound or other passenger liner, does not enjoy the same protections as a bus operated by the city or other municipal entity. Claims against the government require adhering to a strict set of regulations – missing a single step could result in an injured party losing their right to compensation. Municipal claims, for example, feature a much shorter statute of limitations, some as short as six months. They also require a formal notice of claim letter that precludes any other legal action. Having an attorney familiar with the procedures a municipal claim requires is essential.
Who Committed Negligence?
One of the most important aspects of filing a claim after a bus accident is determining the party responsible, which requires an in-depth investigation of the accident. Was the operator of the bus solely responsible, or did other motorists play a role in causing the accident? Several different claims may exist – one against the bus driver or his or her employer, or other motorists on the road whose negligence contributed to the crash.
Common Carrier Law
One of the most important laws governing bus accidents is the common carrier law. Modes of transportation that deliver travel for a fee, such as planes, trains, and busses, all fall under the category of common carriers. Because they collect a fee for transportation, their duty of care is much higher than the average motorist’s. Common carriers must exercise the highest degree of care and diligence when transporting people and cargo. Failure to abide by the smallest regulation could form the grounds for a personal injury claim, when that failure leads to harm.
Types of Compensation Available to Injured Parties
An injured plaintiff may be able to collect both economic and non-economic damages from an at-fault bus company.
- Economic damages seek to compensate the victim for the tangible losses associated with the accident. Examples include medical bills, lost wages, and the projected costs of future care, if applicable.
- Non-economic damages provide recompense for the intangible losses a plaintiff suffers. Examples include physical pain and suffering, emotional anguish, and any loss in life quality associated with the experience.
- In some cases, injured plaintiffs may be able to collect punitive damages from a defendant. Generally reserved for cases of gross negligence or recklessness, punitive damages seek to punish the defendant for wrongdoing and make an example of him or her.
Operators of common carriers, like bus drivers, must exercise the highest degree of care regarding transportation of passengers or cargo. Failure to do so could create grounds for a personal injury claim. If you or a loved one suffered harm in an accident involving a bus, you may be able to collect compensation for your losses. Contact the Eric Ratinoff Law Corp today to schedule a free review of your case.