Medical malpractice injuries go beyond the body, they severely damage the trust between a patient and their medical care provider. Patients depend upon the expertise and professional judgement of their medical care team, and when a doctor, nurse, or other medical professional violates their role by deviating from the accepted standard of practice and causing harm to the patient, the damage caused can be extremely traumatic. Medical malpractice from a physician is a growing problem across the U.S. It is now the third leading cause of death across America, claiming more than 200,000 lives every year.
Medical malpractice injuries may include professional negligence by a physician, hospital or other provider of health in which improper or negligent treatment jeopardizes the health care or causes serious injury or loss to a patient and his/her family.
Due to medical malpractice reform laws dating back to 1975, which protect doctors and insurance companies by placing a cap on damages that can be awarded to victims of medical malpractice, many personal injury lawyers refrain from pursuing medical malpractice lawsuits. Medical malpractice lawsuits can be costly and draining on legal staff and resources, but we feel that capping damages at an amount that has remained unchanged for almost 40 years is a crime against patient rights. Our lawyers continue to pursue compensation on behalf of people who have been injured by the neglect or carelessness of medical care providers. Medical malpractice is a serious injustice, and although there is no dollar amount that could ever replace what was lost due to medical error, financial compensation is unfortunately the only recourse patients have to fight back.
Medical Malpractice Lawsuits in Sacramento
We are proud of the results we have been able to obtain on behalf of people who have been injured or lost loved ones to medical malpractice, and we continue to fight for their rights in and out of the courtroom. Some examples of our medical malpractice lawsuit results include:
- $7.6 million dollar spinal cord injury medical malpractice case, which is believed to be the largest medical malpractice jury verdict in Sacramento County history
- $1.1 million in a chiropractic malpractice case in which a patient’s chiropractor failed to diagnose Cauda Equina Syndrome. The failure to diagnose resulted in the patient’s permanent paralysis.
- $850,000 recovery on behalf of woman and her family in a medical malpractice case arising from the failure of the woman’s doctors to diagnose her breast cancer. The settlement also addresses a future wrongful death claim for the terminally ill woman’s husband and 3 grown children.
- Six-figure arbitration award in a Kaiser medical malpractice dispute. The plaintiff was admitted to Kaiser Foundation Hospital to deliver a baby. Within days after undergoing a C-section surgery, she developed several severe infections. Treatment for the infections required hospitalization and prolonged treatment at home involving painful wound cleansing and care. The arbitrator determined that Kaiser’s failure to provide adequate antibiotics for plaintiff’s infections was the proximate cause of her pain and suffering.
- 1.25 million in a medical malpractice case against a hospital on behalf of a woman who suffered a heart attack that resulted in brain injury while she was waiting to be seen in the emergency waiting room of the hospital.
We have extensive experience litigating medical malpractice cases, as well as other injury cases, and we have a track record of proven results against some of the largest and toughest medical establishments and insurance companies in the nation. For over twenty years, Eric Ratinoff has succeeded in obtaining outstanding results for our clients through jury trials and settlement negotiations.
The types of medical malpractice cases we handle include:
- Anesthesia Errors
- Failure to Diagnose Brain Tumors
- Hospital Infections
- Medication Errors
- Misdiagnosis of Cancer
- Negligent Intubation
- Surgical Mistakes
Medical Malpractice Attorney in Sacramento
If you or a loved one has suffered serious injury, harm or loss in a medical situation, our experienced Sacramento injury lawyers are available to answer any legal questions you may have, free of charge or obligation. Eric Ratinoff continues to dedicate his practices in helping clients achieve proper & fair compensation for their injuries. Please fill out the contact form on this page or call us toll-free at (866) 527-4278.
En español: La Negligencia Médica